Thursday 6 July 2017

I Am a Grassroots Politician, I Have Contributed My Quota To The Development Of My Community - Tola Olaiya

Tola Olaiya
Tola Olaiya, APC Councilorship candidate from Abesan 1 in the forthcoming Local Council elections visited our office on Wednesday, 5th July, 2017 to clear the air on some information going round about him not having a job and many others. In the interview he had with the editor of Abesan News, he talked about his contribution to his community, his educational background, his source of income and other issues. Please enjoy an excerpt of the interview.
You are welcome to our office, please introduce yourself.
I am Emmanuel Tola Olaiya, born in 1969, September 27. I had my primary school in Yaba Methodist, my secondary school at Igbobi College and Tertiary institution at Lagos State Polytechnic for OND and HND.
I have been in Abesan since April, 1982. I left for school, got married and came back to Abesan in 2005 because of my political career. You know you have to be resident in the place you are interested in contesting. I have been practicing politics since 1999 and moved back to Abesan to actualize my aspiration of contesting a political office.

I am a grassroots politician having been involved in politics from my sector where I was an officer three times, from there to CDA (Ifelodun) where I was Assistant Secretary two times and I was also part of the delegates that voted the present AERA (Abesan Estate Residents Association) executives into power. So, if I am not a grassroots person, how can I do all that? There is nobody within my Ward that won’t know who Tola Olaiya is. The Muslim communities, the churches, go and ask them who Tola Olaiya is, and you will hear what they will say. Even go to Jehova Witness center in Abesan, they know me very well. When you want to do politics, the people around you must know you.
When we did the road in front of the market last year, I contributed more than Two hundred thousand Naira. The president of the estate is aware. He also contributed money from his purse and AERA purse. Look at the evidence here with me (showing pictures and videos on his phone). So how can one person (talking about Abayomi Morakinyo, PDP candidate) say people don’t know me? Someone who just joined politics in 2015, came for meeting just twice and left again? I have been in the party since the days of A.D to AC to ACN and now to APC. In the party, I have been an agent in charge of Polling Booths since 2003. I have been a supervisor for the party in elections, does he have the experience I have in politics? Did he even do Primaries to emerge as a candidate? Does he know how many polling booths there are in his Ward? I don’t even know if he belongs to the Markafi or Ali Modu Sherrif faction of PDP (laughs). In APC, we contested and fought for where we are today. We were five that contested for the ticket. Five of us contested primary. Kemi Fashola, the only female, Kunle Akinsanya (COCO), Shola 1010, Kayode and myself. All of us are graduates. The party can’t make mistake in choosing a candidate. This guy has been telling people that he just wants to be popular, he knows he can’t win. So why making noise all over about my popularity or personality? I don’t see him as a match at all. What has he contributed to his own community? Someone that doesn’t live in this community? Have you asked him where he presently lives? I live in my own house in Abesan. Even in PDP he is contesting on their platform, what has he done for them? Experience in politics is not given on a platter, you go through it and earn it.
What do you do for a living?
I practice Architecture and Civil works
For how long have you been doing that?
Ever since I finished from school. You know you can’t call yourself an architect unless you are registered but you can practice. Presently, I have five buildings (shows pictures on phone) I am working on, in Omole from foundation to the top owned by a serving commissioner in Lagos state. On the design, you will see my company name. I have six graduates working under me as we speak in the office. We collect jobs from State and Federal government. The last job we did for federal government is Ile-Oluji INEC office. It’s there with records. I built it from foundation.
What did you study in school?
Architecture
So how come you are not registered?
It’s time and interest. I have been working since. I have another project in Ibadan (shows pictures on phone). So it’s funny when an ignorant man says he doesn’t know what I do for a living and he didn’t care to find out. Is that how he wants to be a Councilor? (laughs)
Let’s talk about Abesan, what do you think Abesan people need?
The basic need of people in this estate is not what the local government can handle. It is electricity. If electricity is sorted out, you will see that standard of living will be better. The Barber, Hairdresser, Welder, Business centers will all do well with electricity. The cost of running their businesses will reduce and their profit will increase. The people will have food on their tables; the resultant effect of constant electricity will be massive.
But your party is at the helm of affairs…
Actually what the government met on ground is nothing to write home about. The Megawatts they claimed to have on ground was not true, no money in the Treasury and so on. You won’t expect what has been spoilt in 16 years to be sorted in two years. It takes a process to right wrongs. I am optimistic the party will deliver on the promises and I am sure before next congress (next year) we will have positive results.
What’s your relationship with people around you?
I have just shown you some of our community engagements. I am a community man with good relationship with everybody.
What do you think you did to win the ticket of your party?
I have been trying since 2007. I also contested in 2011 and this year again. This is my third time of contesting. I was not imposed, we did primaries and I got the highest mark. I have contributed my own quota to the party, it is not what I will be saying on the pages of a newspaper, you can ask the leaders. What has he (opponent) contributed to his adopted party? What has he done? Where does he live?
Finally, tell us why the people should vote for Tola Olaiya as the next Councilor of Abesan1

I want to be a listening ear, I want to be their eyes in this legislative year, I want to make good laws that will affect the people positively and bring development to the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

IKEJA ELECTRIC CELEBRATES HEROIC WORKFORCE, GETS AWARDED FOR EXCELLENCE, INVESTMENTS IN INFRASTRUCTURE & COMMUNITY WELFARE

Ikeja Electric Plc (IE), has reiterated its commitment to accelerated network upgrades aimed at providing efficient service delivery to its ...