Monday 12 August 2024

Neglect and Betrayal: A Harrowing Tale of Nigeria's Medical System - Part 1

(This account of events is as recounted by the victim herself. It has not been altered in any way.)

"On the 28th of Sept 2022, I registered for antenatal care at Faithcity hospital at Ajao estate lagos. I was seen by Dr Chibuike Ejim on all my visits. My nightmare began after my CS on the 2nd of may 2023. I was delivered of a baby girl and was discharged 3 days later by a Dr James also a doctor in the hospital. A bill of over 500k was given to us which we paid. Before I was discharged, I complained to Dr Ejim who was my primary doctor and to the nurses who attended to me about severe pains around my abdomen and other parts of my body but they said it was normal considering I just had a CS. After I was discharged by Dr James, he told me that Dr Ejim wanted to see me in his office which was downstairs as I was in one of the wards upstairs. So I walked down to see him. He further examined me, asked me if my dressing on the CS site was changed which I affirmed and then he asked me to go. So i went home. 2 days after, i came back to the hospital to have my dressing changed. I didnt meet Dr Ejim but i met another doctor, Dr Ayira who attended to me with a nurse present. During the dressing, he told me the incision area was infected as it had some pus around it and requested I come back in another 2 days to have it redressed. I also complained to him about the severe pain I was still in and also showed him how my legs and feet were swelling up to which he responded that my complaints were normal because of the CS. I came back 2 days later again as instructed to have the incision dressed and still complained about severe pain and the swelling of my body but was told again that it was normal.

A week after delivery, I came back to see DR Ejim on appointment but this time, I was ill with fever, my legs and feet were very swollen, my abdomen was still very much extended and in so much pain. I still looked 9 months pregnant. I complained of my health and he prescribed tramadol for my pains and malaria medications. I also asked him why my abdomen was still extended but he started mocking me, saying I was too fat and needed to lose weight. I was in severe pains and my doctor was making fun of me. Not long after this visit, I was back in the hospital but this time, I was in critical condition. I couldn't sleep, I was feverish, my body was swollen and in severe pain. I was almost passing out at home when my husband rushed me to the hospital. I was taken to see one Dr Johnson who was supposed to admit me. When he saw me wriggling in pains, he thought I was in labour and was even telling me sorry. He was shocked to learn I had given birth almost 2weeks ago and proceeded to examine and admit me. I kept requesting to see Dr Ejim and I was taken to one of the exam rooms. He came in less concerned, sat on a chair across the room. I tried to make him understand how I was feeling but he jokingly started asking me if I had stooled up to 20 or 30 times in one day. The next morning, I was asked to go for scan and xray I was too weak and in pain to even walk but even the nurse on duty couldn't care less to help me. It was my brother who had arrived early that morning to see me that helped me down the stairs.

The result of the scan done by same hospital came out as retained products in my uterus. The xray results were withheld from me and its results not disclosed to me till this day. As a matter of fact, I had to shout and request for the scan results before it was given to me. They didnt want to release it initially.

After so much back and forth, and after being in the hospital for days without even seeing Dr Ejim or being attended to, my husband met Dr Ayira who informed him I had developed sepsis as a result of the infection in my womb which had spread to my abdomen. He said I was also anaemic, I had malaria and deep vein thrombosis

My husband asked if it was life threatening and he replied yes but can be reversed if treatment commenced immediately. My husband pleaded they commenced immediately and a nurse came and told him he needed to pay for 9 bottles of meropenem antibiotics and 2 pints of blood. They insisted he must make full payments before the treatment would begin.

During the 9 days I was there, Dr Ejim never came to see me. It was as if he was avoiding me. My husband had to even cause a scene at some point before dr Ejim came out. At some point, my husband started packing my things so we could leave the hospital and go elsewhere. It was at this point, the MD of the hospital Dr Jane Ebohomielen came out and started pleading that we dont leave that night.

I even spoke to one of my aunts who is also a medical doctor but not based in lagos. She saw the results of the scan and kept asking to speak with Dr Ejim but he said the scan was wrong that there wasnt any retained products. He didnt request I do another scan or try to be sure. He just arrogantly dismissed the results..."

Concluding part, soon.

Punch Newspapers
Vanguard News
Alimosho Standard
verydarkblackman
The National
Omoyele Sowore
Olumide Omosebi



No comments:

Post a Comment

OGUN STATE KIDNAPPING: 76-Year-Old Grandmother, Daughter Released After 12-Hour Ordeal

OGUN STATE KIDNAPPING: 76-Year-Old Grandmother, Daughter Released After 12-Hour Ordeal Abeokuta, Ogun State - A 76-year-old grandmother, Mrs...